Students Participating in the Program Will
- Maintain a 3.5 GPA overall and in Psychology
- Attend meetings of the program unless they are unable to do so and give advance notice (for example, missing a meeting scheduled while a student is at an internship)
- Complete either PSY 499 Independent Study or PSY 496/498 Honors Thesis I and II prior to graduation. (PSY 488 Internship in Psychology may be substituted for this requirement by advisement)
- Participate in two semesters of a 1-credit Honors Seminar in Psychology course, including topics such as career development, research skills, and current issues/readings discussions and workshops.
About the Hulicka Scholars Program
The Hulicka Scholars program is designed to identify and support high achieving Psychology majors. The goal of the program is to introduce beginning students to the field and to the opportunities in our department and college and then to encourage them to take advantage of these opportunities throughout their college careers. The program also seeks to build community among these students so that more advanced students will serve as role models for first and second year students. The program is named in memory of Dr. Irene Hulicka, founder of the Department of Psychology and former Dean of Natural and Social Sciences.
Benefits of the Program
Why should you become a Hulicka Scholar? As a Scholar, you will:
- Learn about opportunities in the Psychology Department
- Develop professional skills
- Explore different career paths
- Connect with other students with similar interests
- Conduct your own research study
- Have the opportunity to graduate with Honors in Psychology
To Become a Hulicka Scholar
All Psychology majors in their second semester and beyond with both a Psychology GPA and overall GPA of 3.5 or higher will be invited to apply. Transfer students must have completed at least one semester at Buffalo State in order to be eligible. Invitations to apply will be distributed in the spring semester. Each year, a new group of Scholars will begin in the fall. To apply, students will need to complete a brief application, submit a writing sample, and agree to fully participate in the program. Students whose GPAs drop below the threshold will be given one semester to bring their GPAs back up and will be dismissed from the program if they do not. Students who do not participate as specified in the requirements will also be dismissed from the program after a warning.
Students may participate in both the Psychology Department's Hulicka Scholars Program and the college Muriel A. Howard Honors Program.
If you believe that you are eligible to apply and have not received an application before April 1, please contact the Psychology Department office (CLAS C 312; 878-6215).